Friday, August 10, 2018

Well ... I did it!!


Oh dear Lord ... NO ... I did not do THAT! 

But I did do something else I referenced in that same blog post. I put on that bikini. And I went out to the pool. In the daylight!
I asked Jeremy to take a photo. He was not thrilled; so I started in with a body-shaming lecture and learned that wasn't why he was uncomfortable ... he just didn't want to think about his mom wanting to wear a bikini - LOL. He hasn't been at all comfortable with my whole dating saga either. Poor guy.
So I posted the photos in that private (thank God!) Facebook group. Mission accomplished! And ya know?  It wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it would be. I actually found that I looked better in that suit than I did when I switched out the bottom for one that gave more coverage. Who knew? But - NO - I don't see me ever wearing it in public. It has been many, many, many years since I was at a public swimming pool or invited to a friend's house for a pool party, so I'm quite sure I won't have to even consider it.

I decided to drive my new CRV up to Boise for Brave Girl Symposium instead of flying. It's about a 10 hour drive, which I could do in one day, but since I'll be volunteering first thing Monday morning I decided to split the drive into two days. Was going to do 6 hours the first day and stop over in Wells, NV but since it looks like they only have motels there ... where the room doors open directly to the outside ... it didn't feel quite as safe for this traveling all alone gal. And since it's late now and I haven't even started packing I decided to just drive 4 hours and spend Saturday night in Ely at the LaQuinta. Gives me some wiggle room with what time I leave here.


I've been saying this is my first solo road trip, but that's not true. I did my very first drive alone trip in 2012 when I drove Vern's Mustang to the San Diego Camp Widow. But a drive to California doesn't really feel like a 'road trip' since Vern & I did that so many times. I made a stop at Crystal Pier and walked down the pier to the cabin we had stayed in those two summers. That was not my best idea. Way too soon and I was a complete sobbing mess. That particular road trip was also eventful because I encountered a tornado on the way back home and had to take cover under a highway overpass to ride it out. Yeah, in a Mustang convertible that felt like it was going to lift off at any moment. Very, very scary. 

I also did a 7 hour drive up to Folly Beach, SC after the 2017 Tampa Camp Widow for my very first Soul Restoration Retreats. I broke that one up with a stop in Deltona to see a friend. That's the trip where I got those awful sores on my face and the shot and/or antibiotics they gave me caused that nasty rash.

Hmmm ... I'm seeing a pattern here with these alone trips. Let's hope that trip #3 is totally uneventful because I really would like to do a true road trip one day soon. No specific destination. Just get in the car and start driving and see where it takes me.


A friend reminded me not to pick up any hitch-hikers on my travels and I did promise him that I wouldn't ... even if they looked like Sam Elliott or Mark Harmon. But ... really ... could I pass up an opportunity like that? Let's see. I'd slow down. I'd probably drive by. But then, I think I just might put that car in reverse.


5 comments:

Donna B. said...

Bless you and your travels. It will be glorious!

Unknown said...

I’ll pray for your safe travels. Enjoy yourself!

BlueRidgeWoman said...

I think you are one of the bravest women I know.

Unknown said...

Safe travels! You can do this! Remind me to tell you about my 2 year plan when I see you....

Patience said...

Dianne! You might be inspiring me to travel!! Enjoy your trip!! And remember to stay out of your comfort zone! <3