Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kindness makes all the difference


The days leading up to Christmas were not my best. Tears very close to the surface constantly. Not sure whether it was because I had pretty much ignored the holidays last year or just that I had passed the one year mark and expected more of myself than I was able to give. I thought I could decorate. I put up the tree but just could not put the ornaments on it. I was able to bring in some of my decorations for our department holiday gathering but they came home and went right back into the box. I didn't do any shopping, didn't purchase any gifts, didn't even go into the mall or any stores other than the grocery store.  I ended up accepting what I couldn't do and hope that next year will be better.

And then it was Christmas morning. My new boss wanted to deliver donuts to our security staff who had to work that day (isn't he fabulous?) and asked if I'd like to join him. Sounded like a great idea, so I said yes. I must admit I had second thoughts when I went out to my car that cold, dark morning at 4:45 a.m. to pick up the donuts ... but then ... as I backed out of the driveway and my lights hit the street ... there they were!  Sparkles!!  If you've been following my blog, you know what those mean to me. I honestly had completely forgotten about them and they took my breath away. Someone ...someone ... remembered and thought enough of me to do this wonderful kindness once again.

My Christmas spirit returned at that moment.




5 comments:

jaloysisus said...

A belated Merry Christmas to you. What an inspiring story, The sparkles were wonderful, but also impressive was the fact that you were bringing donuts to people who had to work on Christmas Day. Good for you.

Kerrie said...

So awesome!♥♥♥

Lori said...

I so love your sparkles!

Jennifer said...

Accepting what you can't do is an amazing thing. That, my friend, sounds like progress.

tim's wife said...

Dianne,
You are so blessed to have someone in your life that cares so much about your feelings. What a wonderful thing to do.