- Halloween ... I put a 'sorry, no candy' note on the door
- Thanksgiving ... very non-traditional - went to a local Mexican restaurant with Jer
- Christmas ... no tree, no holiday parties, no decorations, no gifts
- New Year's Eve ... no fireworks
- His birthday ....
- Valentine's Day ....
- My birthday ... the big 6-0
- Our anniversary ... it would have been #42
- The one year anniversary of his death ...
There were many special moments of kindness shown to me throughout the year that I am very grateful for, but there are two 'events' that occurred that will stay with me forever.
One was a gift I gave to myself - an early December trip to the Florida Keys. I knew I couldn't be at work for all of the holiday festivities and decided that a trip to somewhere that didn't hold memories would be helpful. Those days in that beautiful spot started a healing in my soul and provided me with a possible link to my future retirement days.
And the very biggest remembrance of this first year was the anonymous gift of 'sparkles' on Christmas Eve. I felt very alone and forgotten most of this year and that gift demonstrated that someone out there was thinking of me, was reading my blog, had paid attention to something special that had occurred 3 months earlier and took the time to do this wonderful thing ... it warmed my heart in so many ways and will never, ever be forgotten.
So today is Day 1 of my resolve to make some changes, to grow, to figure out who I am and what I need to do. Think I'll start by making a list that I will post on the bathroom mirror so I see it every morning. I can do this.